BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Top 5 Bible Heroes

So, I am somewhat losing the ability to create unique top 5 lists, I keep wanting to go back to something involving music or movies...so if you have any ideas throw them at me!

This list will be my personal favorite heroes from the bible that inspire me. I won't include Christ in this list because I don't look at him so much as an inspiration as I do a savior.

1. Paul - He wrote virtually the whole new testament. I just think based on his ability to write and be so cutting to the point, I'd love to just sit and have a conversation with him. His life was a total surrender to God.

2. Job - Satan came to God and basically said he could rock the faith of any man and God said go challenge my servant Job. Imagine the faith of Job for God to pick him out of all of humanity. Despite the torturous days and nights that Satan threw at Job he did not faulter. Not even his friends or family would cause Job to fall. This was a man who knew where his foundation stood on solid rock.

3. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego - Corrupt king, an idol, and a fiery furnace. I love playing with fire (fireworks are totall fun), but no way in my right mind would I ever walk into a fiery furnace. Fire is hot and it is unpleasant to be burned by it. Yet these three young men without hesitation trust in God so much that they just walk right into a blazing furnice. Returning out of it without a hint of the slightest burn.

4. Thomas - I am biased on this one, but Thomas, one of the twelve disciples has always been a biblical figure I always took close attention to. Infamous for being a doubter, but he truly is the type of follower I think many of us are today. We all doubt at times, well, at least I do at times. But there are a few moments where Thomas shows a loyalty to Christ that is very real. Before Christ went to Bethany to see Lazarus (which he would soon raise from the dead), the disciples tried to stop Jesus from going in fear that he would be killed, but Thomas steps in and says "Let us also go, that we may die with Him." (John 11:16). I find my faith is often that I have trouble seeing all of God, but at the end of the day I am so willing to lay my life down for Him.

5. Hosea - A man that truly followed God and his will. Hosea marries a prostitute as God commanded. How would that look in our society today, or more so in our institutions? I can't imagine the backlash Hosea received from friends and family. Looking at today's churches, how many christians would be gossiping and glaring at the very sight of this. Hosea was a man unbound by the ways of the world, unafraid by the rejection of those around him.


So what's next for a top 5 list?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good list. Man, I wanna redo mine.

Top 5 words, people you'd like to meet, books.........