BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 21, 2011

2010: Top 5 Best, Disappointing, and Surprise Films

Looking at picking back up on this blog I figured I will do a series of Top 5 films in the past decade.


2010 wasn't the best year for films in my opinion but there were several that came and went and most to be forgotten. Of course I don't see every film that comes out every year, but I do see a large chuck of them and this is three lists of my favorite five of the year; the top five I was anticipating yet was disappointed with the results; the top five I didn't plan on seeing and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome.


Top 5 Films of 2010


1. The Fighter - Top notch film that really gives a unique story to a genre that has proved to be a contender among some of the best of it's category - Rocky, Cinderella Man, and Raging Bull. Rumor has it there will be a sequel continuing the true story of Micky Ward and his brother. Mark Wahlberg is at the top of his game in his Hollywood career and Christian Bale gives his best performance as an actor to date.







2. 127 Hours - A film of cinematic brilliance. A painful movie to watch and the character is played with such a surreal feeling. James Franco proves he can be a solid performer when presented a god role. Hopefully he can continue this trend and avoid the likes of future choices like Your Highness.






3. True Grit - Having not seen the original I felt as a remake most people would feel this wouldn't do the original justice; as we have seen time and again over the years. Coming out of the theater I must say that the acting was excellent across the board and despite such a simple story it still left me giving it two thumbs up. Since then I have tried watching the original and just can't seem to get through it. Sorry Mr. Wayne, I can't help it, you just don't change your demeanor ever....and for the role needed to play here, it just doesn't work.




4. After.Life - A limited release film starring Liam Neeson, Christina Ricci, and Justin Long was a cast list alone to get me on board for the film. A dark and unique film that keeps you guessing as to what is really going on in the film. Little can be said without giving away the premise of the story.







5. The Company Men - I highly anticipated this all-star cast film about the hurting economy. Equipped with Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Ben Affleck, and Chris Cooper. It wasn't a film that would blow your socks off but delivered about what I expected. If you like a good drama with a fragile issue in today's society that delivers spot on, you should check it out.






Top 5 Biggest Disappointments of 2010

1. Inception - Big box office hit. All-Star cast. Same director of The Dark Knight. What could go wrong here? Everything. Hearing about its complexity, depth, and uniqueness along with one of me personal favorite actors - Leonardo DiCaprio; The story was so shallow and because of that I never got hooked. Despite all its pizzazz and glamour, this film couldn't keep its head above water for me.






2. Shutter Island - Another Leonardo film to flop, Martin Scorsese's follow up to the amazing Departed? Yep, double fail. The film just felt so unoriginal, like a story that has been told 100 different ways...it felt like the most cliche piece of film that tried too hard to make twists in the plot line, just to try a play it off as a "wow" factor of "I didn't see that coming".



3. The Town - Jeremy Renner and Ben Affleck in this sweet looking action packed armored truck heist movie. Sure, it's been done before but the preview had this one out to be a unique ride. Despite good acting this film couldn't find its direction throughout the whole thing. It just never found its feet. It was cluttered with trying to develop a back story of a friendship, create an awkward love story, and folly with painfully long ending. Pass.





4. Get Low - Robert Duvall always seems to give superb performances. Seeing the previews for this one gave you a unique story with a lot of mystery ready to be unveiled. Sadly the film was frankly boring. It just didn't capture me.







5. Edge Of Darkness - Mel Gibson coming back to Hollywood since his unique directed movie Apocalypto in 2006. It was a story of vengeance and the preview gave you the vibe of my personal favorite Gibson film - Payback. Sadly this just didn't have quite the memorability that it could have captured.







Top 5 Best Surprise Films of 2010

1.  Easy A - A friend invited me to go see a movie and this was their choice. I knew nothing about it, but standing outside looking at the poster I thought...this will be a waste of 9 bucks. To my surprise it was great. Unique and did a solid job awakening the old classic 80's Cameron Crowe style films. I ended up buying it the week it came out on DVD.






2. Iron Man 2 - Now this wasn't an amazing film by any means. I will say up front that I am not the biggest fan of superhero movies. I did see the first Iron Man and felt that it was okay. The sequel was excellent in comparison. Of course many others think the first one was best....but hey people like what they like.







3. The Runaways - Always been a fan of music and always will be. This is a film about a band from the 70's that I had no clue about - The Runaway's. This movie, much like Ray or Walk the Line, is fairly dark and filled with a lot of the things that make the music industry such an ugly place. The acting was solid and the story kept me engaged throughout.






4. The Crazies - A remake of an old horror movie. I have not seen the original but I am always willing to check out a horror movie when given the chance. It really was nothing incredible new or on the edge of brilliance, it just progressed steadily and had a good ending. Often I find many horror films have some good elements to them but they stumble in other parts.






5. Tangled - As many of you know I don't watch many cartoon movies at all. This showed up on Netflix, so I figured I would give it a shot. Surprisingly it was really good in my opinion. I'd be willing to say it is the best animated film to come out in the past several years as well.









Tune in for the Top 5's of 2009....coming soon....

3 comments:

Daniel Redding said...

a few that i would have added...

i really liked the social network and toy story 3...

i can see why you might not like the social network since you don't like facebook, but i really enjoyed it...

toy story 3 was just another Pixar great... i feel like they do the best animated movies...

i'll have to check out some of the others on your list...

Midnight Runaway said...

I actually almost put The Social Network in my Top 5 Surprise movies. Overall I thought the ending was a bit quick. Solid performance by Jesse Eisenberg though.

Priscilla said...

YES! Tangled - so good. Agree completely on that best animated film in years bit.

I have seen just a few of these. And am rather surprised at the appearance of IronMan 2.

Also - I'm super happy you came back to this blog. I like it a lot. : )

Let me know if you have trouble coming up with "fives".